Tree house

Tree house

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Skin Deep

Today I begin my 31 Days of Digging Deeper series, but all I can think about is how thankful I am that some things are only skin deep.  Now don't get me wrong, I picked the Digging Deeper title because that's what I'd like to do with various aspects of my life as a whole, but today reminded me that superficiality can be a blessing.  Let me explain.

Today I had two pre-cancerous spots removed. These weren't the first, and I'm just thankful they were caught early enough that my fabulous dermatologist was able to freeze them instead of cutting them out.  I've had that kind too.  As a fair-skinned girl who loves a good tan, I know I've earned those spots.  There were days I went without sunscreen.  A lot of days.  There were "special" occasions I tanned for weeks in little sun coffins.  I don't have to question "why me"or feel as if the universe is against me.  I did this to myself. 

As I was driving home, the two spots began to throb--one on my leg, one on my left arm.  Nothing serious by any means, but I certainly knew something had happened there. And, being the preacher's kid I am, I couldn't help but think about how those spots are a lot like sin.  Sin has a way of seeming harmless at the time.  It has a way of sneaking up on you.  It has a way of feeling good in the moment. It has a way of speaking to our superficial natures telling us things like, "It's no big deal if you only do it every now and then, " or "Everyone else looks so much better doing this-- so will you." But just like my spots, sin is something that is far easier to catch and remove if you do it early.  Freezing off the nasty stuff is much easier than the painful process it takes to cut into your life and eventually stitch it back up.  Left to fester, sin leaves scars.  I know.  I've had that kind too. 

So today, I'm thankful for things that are superficial.  I'm thankful that my fabulous husband saw the spot on my leg and encouraged me to call my doctor.  I'm thankful neither of my marks were permanent or will have any lasting effects.  I'm thankful for a loving Father who is waiting to help me catch my sin in its early stages, before it has a chance to take root and cause more permanent damage. Today I'm thankful that some things are only skin deep.









3 comments:

  1. So beautiful. And I'm glad you got those spots removed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you got it early. and impressed by your honesty of knowing you were at fault, not god, for the spots. i'm pretty sure i will have myself to thank for the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too and thanks for your comment. You made my day!

      Delete