Tree house

Tree house

Monday, October 7, 2013

Cruise Director

This is our Zane.  He is the amazing miracle we weren't expecting.  Well, they both are really.  But that's why his name fit so well. Supposedly, it means "The Lord is gracious."   

This kid is crazy.  His favorite afternoon activity is to do head stands on our couch.  He loves to read, but can't just read one book at a time.  We currently have three bedtime books in addition to the Bible we read each night.  He is also our cruise director--he must know what the plan is and how exactly it's going to be executed.  If he doesn't like the itinerary, he'll tell you without hesitation.  

He's addicted to video games (Skylanders, Donkey Kong Country, and Lego Harry Potter currently) and loves Ben 10 and Pokemon on TV.  He's still scared of Halloween masks, and while he won't admit it anymore, he's not at all a fan of "dress up people."  I don't blame him.  Mascots are pretty weird.

He's also our worrier.  He has his life mapped out, but the thought of things not going as expected is of deep concern to him.  His big plan is to live in an apartment first and then build a house in our backyard. It will be black with flames. He and his wife will come in and have dinner with us most nights, and he plans to help his dad mow the lawn. But his plan has a few cracks in it.  Tonight he asked me, "Mom, what if my wife doesn't want to live here?"  A few weeks ago, he sighed deeply and said, "I just don't know what to do with my life.  I don't even know what I'm going to do for a job!" Life's tough all over these days--even when you're 7.

He's sweet, loveable, and absolutely hates fighting and raised voices. He hates being in trouble or having anyone upset with him.  My heart aches for him as I think of what life may throw at him one day.    But when it does, I'm trying to tell myself what I tell him:

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes" (Matthew 6:34--The Message).

The Lord is gracious indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment