Tree house

Tree house

Monday, October 14, 2013

Balancing Act

Atlas definitely had it rough for a Titan.  As the myths go, this guy chose to fight with his dad Cronus, and Zeus punished him for all eternity by forcing him to keep the planets from colliding and rotating correctly.  We all know the cliche--this guy has the world on his shoulders.  

It doesn't take long once school gets going for me to feel the same.  I am constantly struggling to maintain that elusive work/home life balance, and more often than not, something is way off.  Sometimes my students "suffer" by waiting a long time for papers, or by getting what I consider to be a mediocre lesson that could have been significantly better with more planning and inspiration.  Sometimes my own kids "suffer" in that I use up most of my patience on other people's kids and am left with very little for them. Other times I have to work--grading papers, making lesson plans, answering emails or dealing with issues as department chair--and my kids have to take a back seat and wait around or keep themselves busy when they really need something from me.  My husband would say he suffers no matter what, but if my patience is short with the kids....well, you get the picture. 

I know my issues with balance are not unique.  Some say this is a "stage of life" issue, and maybe they're right.  But as my principal reminded us today, we only go around once.  Unlike Atlas, we're not bound to this life for eternity.  This is the only chance we get to do things here, and as a Type I diabetic at age 40, I am increasingly aware that every day is a gift.  

This week we have parent-teacher conferences, so the balances will be firmly in the work category.   But my job is a God-given gift.  I may not being doing it to the best of my ability if it were my only focus, but right now I can assure you that I am doing the best that I know how.  My children are both truly miraculous answers to prayer.  We have screwed up as parents in so many ways, but both of them know that our love for them is greater than anything else outside of God and each other.  My life is most certainly lacking balance.  But as Paul tells the Philippians in chapter 4, verse 11b: " I have learned in whatever situation, I am to be content."  Not content with mediocrity, chaos or ignoring the people around us, but content in the peace that only comes from Christ and the understanding that He is in control, not me.  That imbalance of power--all Him, not me--that's the kind of balance I need.

1 comment:

  1. Boy did I ever need to read this tonight. Thanks so much. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete