Tree house

Tree house

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sacred Sunday Cover

So my fabulous friend Julie is blogging this month on 31 Days of Music.  She has an alliterative theme for each day, and today is obviously Sacred Sunday.  You really should check it out.  As I read it and listened to the video attached, I was struck by the differences in the music from her church to mine.  Now of course we have differences as all churches will, but overall I was struck by the stark difference in formality.  Of course, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is about as formal as you get, and I realize that the music may not be quite like that every Sunday in her home church. Regardless, it got me thinking, so I decided to do a "cover", or my own version of Sacred Sunday tonight.

The bigger churches in our denomination (independent churches of Christ/Christian churches) have made the choice to move away from formality in the singing portion of our worship.  Generally, we don't sing hymns anymore.  Instead we sing choruses or popular songs written by artists you'll find on KLove.  I'm making absolutely no value judgements about what's better.  Frankly, I think there is a time and place for both. 

 I've posted a video for one of the songs we sang today, both in worship time and as a closing.  I was struck by its beauty and simplicity.  As I listen to the Julie's choir sing, begging God to show "pity in my deep anguish" I hear echoes of the same cry in "all the poor and powerless...and all the thieves who come confess, know that You are holy."  Both songs speak to our deep yearning for God.  We long to be close to Him, yet we are so disgustingly far from Him, filthy with our sin.  Both songs also talk about His forgiveness, and overwhelming love for us.  His awesome power, might, and holiness.  Why aren't we shouting about it from the mountains?  Telling it to the masses?
Why haven't I?  


2 comments:

  1. What a great song. I'm glad you shared this!

    And for the record, yes, all of our music at church is in the tradition of MoTab. Except I'm guessing that Gladys Knight's congregation is a bit livelier. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that would be fun church to visit some Sunday..... :)

    ReplyDelete