Tree house

Tree house

Friday, October 4, 2013

Playing It By Ear

Every Friday, my friend Julie and I are going to have a conversation--a bloggersation really (so sorry).  We're both going to blog about the same topic, and as I have mentioned a time or two, her stuff is far superior and you should be reading her blog too.  If nothing else, our bloggersation will be much more interesting if you get her side of it each Friday. 

This week she suggested we talk about being a church pianist.  She still faithfully serves, and as many of you know, I've taken a break these last few years to teach Sunday school with my husband instead.  Throughout the course of that time, several people have asked me if I've missed it or if I'd like to get back into playing. The general answer to that is no. I definitely miss playing.  More importantly, having a reason to play.  Life is too full as it is for me to have time to sit down and play the piano for fun.  I do sometimes, but I always feel guilty about the laundry, the papers to grade, the cleaning, the kids to hang out with...you get the picture. 

So what are some things I don't miss about playing for church?  Getting up ridiculously early on Sunday morning to go practice again with the band.  Spending an hour or two on a Wednesday or Thursday night practicing with the band.  Being asked to play things on a moment's notice and expected to know how to play songs without music.  Being asked to just fill time on the spur of the moment.  Playing in five or more sharps.  And most importantly, the thing I don't miss is that as pianists in churches with bands, we don't play music anymore, we play chords.  We're given a guitar chart and asked to improvise or fill in based on what the leader has heard on KLove or Youtube. 

However, I do miss the band; there was a definite camaraderie playing with people who share a love of music.  I miss seeing the congregation worship.  I miss helping the congregation worship.  I miss worshiping in a way I've only experienced when serving.  But for now, teaching 4th grade boys Sunday School is how we serve.  So as Julie says, if you're in church on Sunday and there's music, thank those people who have shown up to share their gift with you.

1 comment:

  1. "Playing in 5 or more sharps."

    YES. :)

    And I never play for fun, either. If it wasn't for AJ, all I'd ever play is church stuff, and that certainly isn't challenging enough to make me any better.

    ReplyDelete