Tree house

Tree house

Monday, November 4, 2013

Living the Life-- Type I Diabetes: Not Your Grandma's Disease

When I was 12 years old, I was diagnosed with Type I diabetes mellitus.  No, this isn't the same thing your grandma has.  No, I didn't get it because I was fat or drank too much sugared pop.  I'm diabetic because cells in my body attacked the beta cells in my pancreas, and effectively killed off that part of the organ.  I didn't do anything wrong to get it; I couldn't do anything to avoid it.  No one is completely sure why some people get it and some don't.  It may be genetic, it may not.  Whatever it is, there is no cure.  And to be honest, I have very little hope that there will be one in my life time at the rate the research is going.

 Part of the reason for the delay in the cure is that Type I diabetes only affects 5% of all diabetics. That's right--5%.  The total number of diabetics in our country is growing at an exponential rate.  In 2011, the CDC reported that there are 25.8 million diabetics.  That's 8 out of every 100 Americans.   So in other words, 95% of all diabetics in this country have Type II diabetes.  That, my friends, is the preventable kind in almost all cases.  There are a few cases of Type II occurring due to medications (steroids such as prednazone, for example) in otherwise healthy adults, but overall, the number one cause of Type II diabetes is being overweight and a lack of physical activity.  In fact, according to the CDC's study, 58% of all of those at risk for Type II diabetes were able to stave off the disease with lifestyle and activity changes.  In those aged 60 and over, that rate increased to over 70% who avoided the development of the disease. 

So where are the bulk of the money and resources going in the fight against diabetes? Education and prevention of Type II.  Am I bitter?  Maybe a little sometimes.  Ok, maybe more than  a little.  It could have to do with the fact that I've gotten flyers from the AARP since I was 13.  It could be that so many people assume I just have to pop a pill and be ok.  It could be because I have a disease I couldn't prevent.  A disease that is the 7th leading cause of death in America.  A disease that is the leading cause of blindness, renal failure, and non-traumatic amputations.  A disease that I didn't get a chance to stop or lose weight to make go away.  So this month (Diabetes Awareness Month) I thought I would share a slice of my life living with this nasty disease. And I promise, it's not all this depressing.  Diabetes is my constant companion, my thorn in the flesh, and even at times, a blessing.  It's not your grandma's disease for sure.  No, my disease is much more complicated than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment